Sabbatical Shorts 3 - 5 Essential Truths for Maturity

A year on from a Sabbatical break, here are some selected notes from my journal during that time which may be of help to others, and are certainly a reminder to me. Some is in the form of more reflective thought,  other passages are simple meditations from scripture.

This week is just a list. A short list. But a list with a kick. 

We shaped our days around a simple pattern of prayer and scripture reading at regular intervals, seeking to re-wire our hearts and release ourselves from years of busyness and fuzzy focus in leadership. We recognised that these patterns were symptoms of a heart condition which essentially puts me, and self at the centre of everything in terms of importance and control. 


It is a heart condition which pumps out a beat that says - I am indispensable. I cannot stop. I am the answer to the problem. When things go wrong I have to fix them. Life works better if I am in control........this is dysfunctional, immature and unsustainable.
To navigate our way through these early days of the Sabbatical we found Emotionally Healthy Spirituality by Pete Scazzero to be such a helpful guide.

The list below which I wrote in my journal with no additional comment or explanation is taken directly from Scazzero, speaking into the shock of discovering these symptoms of emotionally unhealthy and immature spirituality in our lives.

In my journal, the list stands alone. No additional comments or remarks were necessary. The list alone was enough to challenge my heart, being both a prophetic full stop and a wake up simultaneously. A list that packs a punch, leading to repentance to the God who opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble, and perhaps, tentative baby steps of new, emerging maturity.

It is a list that bears repeating most mornings, and at any moment where the old needy patterns of immaturity reassert themselves. Repeat after me!

5 Essential Truths for maturity
1/ Life is hard
2/ You are not that important
3/ Your life is not about you
4/ You are not in control
5/ You are going to die


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't kiss me - cross cultural fumblings!

Myra Wattinger & the voice of God

The Seven Marks of a Healthy Church