Sabbatical Shorts 4 - The Way of St James

A year on from a Sabbatical break, here are some selected notes from my journal during that time which may be of help to others, and are certainly a reminder to me. Some is in the form of more reflective thought,  other passages are simple meditations from scripture.

In the early weeks of July last year, we were preparing to travel to Bilbao in the north of Spain, and walk a section of the Camino de Santiago, the Way of St James. The ancient pilgrim routes from various directions, harmonise together to bring the pious throngs to a finish at the city of Santiago de Compostela. The Way is walked by thousands each year. Seekers of spiritual enlightenment, Catholic devotees, thrill seeking adventurers.....and us - A burned out leadership couple from a church tradition as far removed from the myths and nonsense around St James as it is possible to be!

My journal notes the interactions that James and his brother John have with Jesus and others in the scriptures. Their reputation as the 'Sons of Thunder'. Their need to be in the inner circle and the manipulation that their mother exerts to help them establish position above the other disciples. The journal reflects on the way of James and the finger pointing back on my own brokenness.

What was the way of St James?
A way of pride.
A way of manipulation and control.
A way of attention seeking.
A way of seeking approval from authority figures.
A way of outbursts of anger.
Until the cross of Christ, this is the way of James. 

Pilgrims about to embark upon The Way of St James, ask one another, 'why do you walk this way? Why do I walk, what is it that I hope to discover?
This way of St James before the redeeming cross, is the way that I want to walk away from. I don't want this path any longer. Instead, I would track the way of Jesus.

As I walk each day in the footsteps of James, finding my feet fit rather too well into his pattern, I must discover the new way of Jesus, must learn to walk to his rhythm, to come into step with his heartbeat.

As I walk, I will recognise, like James, my own flawed, immature spirituality. And yet, like James, Jesus invites me into the three. To the inner circle. To come close alongside, to be with him as his friend. Outrageously, unexpectedly, Father, Son, Spirit and me!

For all the brokenness, this is the way of James that I choose. This is why I walk.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't kiss me - cross cultural fumblings!

Myra Wattinger & the voice of God

The Seven Marks of a Healthy Church